Sunday, November 4, 2012

What the Fudge‽

Welcome to my cooking blog, where I will be experimenting with new recipes and re-hashing the oldies and goodies!


This month's Adventures in Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free Church Potluck Aspirations include this gem of a recipe from my fantastic friend, Virginia: a "healthy" fudge recipe.  "How healthy can fudge be?" you ask.

This healthy:


BOOM--Black beans! Honey! Olive oil!  Be still my heart!
But, does it taste like fudge?
Verdict to follow:



Melt chocolate and coconut oil; stir in olive oil.
It says saucepan, but I favor a double boiler anytime there is chocolate involved, 
because, invariably, my saucepans will scorch.


Add beans, walnuts, vanilla, Xanthan gum, coffee powder, salt and chocolate/oil mixture to food processor.


Blend until smooth.



There's a point in any new recipe where I think to myself
"Hmm, I hope its supposed to look like this."
We've reached that point.
I declared this smooth, then pulsed it a few more times for good measure.


All the honey ever and the eggs.


Add to the mucky-muck.


Now that's smooth, whew!


Pour into greased pan and bake for 40-45 min.
*Sprinkle with coarse salt right out of the oven


Well, I couldn't bring an untried recipe to Church Potluck, so I was obligated to taste a corner.
Then one more piece, for posterity.
Then the other part of the piece I cut for my husband, Brett.

Verdict:
I historically despise fudge--you think its going to be good chocolate, but its grainy and sweet and all weird and stuff.  Disappointed every time. And I'm a lover of chocolate.

I love this fudge, its got a great texture.  More like a cross between Flourless Chocolate Cake and a brownie, because of all those eggs.

It was hit and miss at the Church Potluck: several people asked for the recipe, others thought it was interesting.  And that I attribute to the coffee powder--it makes for a more bitter, darker chocolate flavor and, even with all that honey, it is not overly sweet.  Agave syrup seems sweeter, so I'm betting using that, and, also, using butter instead of coconut oil would make it a little richer and sweeter.

If you like bitter, black coffee, dark chocolate and brownies, this could be the gluten-free fudge for you!

Healthy Fudge
by: Virginia Berry

Serves: 24
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups cooked black beans, well-drained (I used canned and rinsed well)
1 cup walnut pieces (I omitted, wiggy nuts)
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum (Can be omitted but will be less firm and will need to be chilled 24 hrs before cutting)
1/4 cup coffee substitute or instant coffee powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups agave syrup or honey
*coarse salt

Instructions:

  • Melt chocolate and butter/coconut oil in sauce pan.  Stir in oil and set aside.
  • In a food processor place the beans, 1/2 cup walnuts, vanilla, Xanthan gum, coffee powder, salt and chocolate/oil mixture.  Blend until completely smooth.  Add the eggs and agave syrup/honey and process until incorporated and smooth.
  • Smooth the batter into a greased 9 1/2 x 11-inch pan.  Sprinkle with remaining walnut pieces.
  • Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until the fudge is set.  Let cool in pan completely
  • *Sprinkle with coarse salt right out of the oven, gives a great sweet/salty contrast.



No comments:

Post a Comment